18 September 2009

Local... Social... Activate!

One thing I really appreciate is the "big" trends applied in local, even intimate ways. Recently, I've been noticing my favorite local haunts - a small coffee house, a nice little restaurant - taking steps towards greater engagement with their customers.

In the case of City Market (my source for chocolate croissants), I found a nice handmade sign displaying options for new cup sleeves with a request that folks vote. Where was the sign? Appropriately, placed in the junk-up-your-coffee station above the flatware, so nearly every coffee-drinking denizen would have the chance to weigh in. What a great, low-tech, high engagement way to keep customers involved in the evolution of the brand!



At Berkeley's - where I highly recommend the polenta mosaic for dinner followed by warm donuts for dessert - the proprietors have started building a community via SMS text messaging. Nothing new, per se, but appreciated nonetheless. Not that I'm not already loyal to the place, but the texts do keep the restaurant top of mind for the inevitable "hmmm, do I really want to cook?" evenings.

Got any favorite examples of Local/Social activation you'd like to share? Let us know... And if your examples include chocolate croissants or warm donuts, I'm happy to coordinate on-site research!

1 comment:

  1. Customer service always works. I had surgery long enough ago, that DVD players were still new. At the local video store (The Movie Groove) if you rented 5 DVDs, you got a loaner player for free. I could not get the darn thing to work, so Scott, the owner got in his car and drove to my house to figure out the problem (Turns out the cords I was given were bad). Ever since then, I have been a very loyal customer...Now that he has opened a coffee bar (The Grind) right next door, there is yet another reason to go!

    ReplyDelete