11 November 2009

New Puppy and the Price of Taking Risks

In the midst of trading emails with my friend, Bruce, he provided the following comments on how his kids are getting on with their new puppy:
The puppy is more of a squirrel-like creature with sharp pointy teeth. It bites. It bites everything. It is not discerning about what it bites as long as it can bite. It bites my son's feet and he flies to the top of a table. It’s sound judgment on his part to keep his feet up and out of the way. My daughter shows greater enterprise in her play with the puppy but not as sound judgment as her brother. She has scratches and bites all over her arms to prove her enterprising nature.

Of course, I laughed as I read the description, but then I thought of something. This story is a pretty good analogy for taking risks in business.

Though risk aversion often appears the safer route in the near term, avoiding painful "scratches and bites," is being overly risk averse conducive to long-term success? I think not. Without a willingness to absorb nicks and cuts in pursuit of greater success, how fruitful can any relationship-building with consumers be? How compelling is the new product that doesn't do something new?

I think the trick is to get to a process that results in, perhaps, "scratches and bites" only rather than deep flesh wounds. Fail fast and fail small is a good solution, and one I recommend in this regard. Got your own thoughts? Chime in!

3 comments:

  1. I agree Gary after all "what's an adventure without scars?!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gary,

    A few bites and scrapes for a beautiful companion in life is a small price to pay. My recommendation though: don't get bitten to the point of rabies and permanent scars.


    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gary. A small update is in order. My son now risks the bites. He must. Toby (the dog) is convinced that Ryan is his litter mate. A terrific battle for dog supremacy is joined. Ryan refuses to be last in the pack. As a whole, the family is enduring the bites but is intolerant of the "accidents".

    ReplyDelete