13 March 2011

Japan, Sorrow, and Compassion

Folks, there has been no shortage of tragedy of late.  The recent events in Japan seem to be the culmination of a string of unfortunate, sad events.

Having lived through a number of earthquakes - most of them during my years in California - I can tell you there is little as unsettling to the human soul as a furious Mother Nature.  The combined blows of earthquake and tsunami wrought destruction on a scale which stretches the imagination.  The NY Times provided me the most dramatic representation of the before and after of these events.

While we all go on with our lives, it is worthwhile to be thankful for what we have, to cherish those we love and our time with them, and to lend a hand to those in need.  Please consider making a donation to the American Red Cross or another worthy organization whose mission is to help others.

I am relieved my brother, who lives in Japan, is safe and sound.  I am sorry for all the many souls who were lost in this tragedy.  And, I am hopeful we all take this chance to display the compassion and support humanity can deliver in the most trying of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment